Jamaican Rice and Peas
In Jamaica, kidney beans are called “peas”! This delicious staple dish is packed with flavor.
- 1 large white onion
- 2 cups rice
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 hot pepper, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- In a pot, sauté white onion until translucent.
- Add rice and garlic and sauté until rice is browned.
- Pour in coconut milk and vegetable broth. Add salt, all spice, thyme, and minced pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour.
- Once rice is cooked, add kidney beans. Serve hot and enjoy!