Nourishing vegan “meatballs” that taste great with marinara sauce, pesto, with pasta, or on their own.
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 flax egg (1 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed + 3 Tablespoons of water)
- ⅓ cup seasoned coating mix
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a medium-large pot.
- Add the onion, garlic and shallot and saute for a few minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover pan and reduce heat to a simmer for about 20-25 minutes, until water has absorbed and lentils are cooked.
- In a food processor, pulse the lentils with the dried herbs, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, and flax egg until combined.
- Stir the bread crumbs into the lentil mixture by hand until the mixture holds together.
- Allow the mixture to cool down before carefully forming into golf-ball-sized meatballs and set on the baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs in the oven for approximately half an hour, rotating throughout to ensure all sides are browned.
- Remove meatballs from oven and cool for a few minutes before serving (meatballs become more firm as they cool).