- 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 long pieces kombu seaweed
- 1 liter water
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup citrus juice (lemons and limes)
- 2 pounds grape or cherry tomatoes
- Make the Dashi: soak mushrooms and kombu in 1 liter water overnight or for 8-12 hours. In a pot, bring to a boil. Remove kombu and turn down heat to simmer. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Remove mushrooms and reserve for another use. Allow to cool down.
- Mix the Ponzu: combine dashi, soy sauce, mirin, and citrus juices. Adjust seasoning to your liking (remember this is just the marinating liquid for the tomatoes, so it should be a bit sour/salty/sweet).
- Prepare an ice bath by adding ice to a bowl of cool water. Bring a separate pot of water to boil.
- Drop about a quarter of the tomatoes into the boiling water for 10-20 seconds, until you see the skin just start to separate from the tomato. With a slotted spoon, remove the tomatoes and plunge them into the ice bath. Continue this process until all the tomatoes are processed.
- Slip off the skins and add tomatoes to ponzu. Cover and refrigerate. Wait 1-2 days before eating. Serve and enjoy!