Quinoa w/ Cumin
This is an adaptation of the famous dish Cumin Rice or Jeera ChawaI using one of the sugar-free “pseudo grains” – buckwheat, quinoa, millet and amaranth – instead of white rice. Delish!
Updated: Wed, 06/29/2016 - 7:31pm
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inch)
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced.
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups water
- In a large heavy pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cumin, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and cook until the seeds sizzle – about 30 seconds.
- Add the onion. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the quinoa and salt. Fry for a minute, ensuring the quinoa doesn’t stick.
- Add the water and boil for five minutes.
- Cover, turn off the heat and let the quinoa sit for 25 minutes.
- Check to make sure the quinoa is properly cooked, adding more water if needed.
- Remove the whole spices. Fluff with a fork and serve. Delicious!