Vegan Herbed Cashew Cheese Wheel
This delightful homemade cheese wheel is bound to impress your pals + it's absolutely delicious. The secret key ingredient is seaweed flakes - agar agar to be precise.
2 medium ramekins
- ½ cup soaked cashews, rinsed and drained
- ¼ - ½ cup nutritional yeast, to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons almond meal (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bullion
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 Tablespoons mellow white miso
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons fresh herbs (ie. thyme, sage)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- ½ cup agar flakes
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil (or oil of choice)
- 1¾ cups plain unsweetened soy milk
Special Materials: Food Processor
- Lightly grease two medium ramekins with grapeseed oil.
- Place Cashew Mixture ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until cashews are finely ground. You may add almond meal if you want a firmer, crumbly cheese.
- Add Seasonings to Cashew Mixture and pulse to combine. You may add turmeric if you want your cheese to have a yellow/orange color, but this is optional.
- Place Agar Solution ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over high heat. Lower heat to medium low and stir consistently for 10 minutes or until agar flakes have dissolved.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour Agar Solution into cashew mixture. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour cheese into greased ramekins. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours, or until cheese has firmed up.
- Remove firm cheese from ramekin. Cheese can be served sliced or grated. It can also be melted in a saucepan over medium heat, adding more soymilk if needed. Serve and enjoy!