- 1 large fresh green (unripe) papaya, de-seeded and peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers or any hot pepper of choice, chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- Brown rice vinegar or white vinegar
- Special Materials: A large glass jar
- Cut papaya into ⅛" thick by 2" long slices. Place slices in a large glass baking dish.
- Salt papaya slices generously and cover dish with plastic wrap. Let sit for at least 4 hours or overnight. The salt will help draw out moisture.
- Transfer papaya to a large mixing bowl.
- Add garlic, peppers and sugar to papaya and toss gently.
- Transfer to a glass jar and fill with water until half of mixture is submerged.
- Pour in vinegar until mixture is submerged completely. Stir gently with a long spoon. Cover jar and let sit in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Remove papaya slices from jar with tongs, tapping on the rim to get rid of excess liquid. Serve right away or keep refrigerated in the glass jar up to 3 weeks. The longer it sits, the spicier the papaya gets! Enjoy!