- 3 cups basmati rice
- 2 Tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 whole peppercorns, slightly crushed
- 1 cup peas
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup cashew pieces, raw or lightly toasted
- 1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 5½ cups water
- Wash and soak rice for 10-15 minutes, then strain.
- Heat ghee or oil in a medium pan. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, cumin seeds, bay leaves and peppercorns. Heat until sputtering and lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Turn down heat and add rice. Stir and brown about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add peas, turmeric, cashews and salt.
- Return to heat for 2-3 minutes to brown.
- Pour into a saucepan. Cover and simmer over low heat for 18-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve. Enjoy!