Leek Socca with Cashew Cheeze
Socca is a chickpea flour pancake/flatbread, originating from the Mediterranean. It’s delicious, versatile, and gluten-free!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- ½ - 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (more to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil + 2-4 Tablespoons more
- 1 cups finely minced leeks
Cashew Herb Cheeze
- 1 cup cashews, soaked one hour and drained
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup water
- SIFT chickpea flour into a bowl. Whisk in water, salt, pepper, and 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Let stand half hour (up to 12 hours).
- Preheat oven to 450º. Add chosen pan into oven to preheat.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Sauté leeks until just slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil to preheated pan then line with parchment paper. Sprinkle cooked leeks on top of batter.
- Transfer to oven and bake 12-15 minutes. Socca should be firm in the center and edges should be set. Switch oven to broiler setting, and move oven rack close to the top if needed. Broil for 3-5 minutes, until top just starts to brown in spots.
- For the Cashew Cheeze: Grind cashews and salt in a food processor or blender until fine. Add remaining ingredients, blend until smooth, adding water as necessary for texture. Cheeze should be smooth and spreadable, but not pourable.
- When Socca has cooled, spread Cashew Cheeze on top or serve as a dip. Enjoy!
- Note: This recipe will work in a 9 or 10-inch pan ONLY. You can use a cast-iron skillet, springform pan or a cake pan- but a 9-inch glass pie plate works the best. Also, parchment paper is a must to ensure an intact Socca- have this ready before you preheat the pan.