Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
Caramelized onions have a magical quality to them but sautéing them is a bit labor-intensive. Use your slow cooker to easily make a gigantic batch and use them throughout the week. Watch them take your meals from ho-hum to amazing! To save yourself from crying, put onions in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before slicing – this minimizes the gaseous enzymes that causes tearing.
Updated: Tue, 04/03/2018 - 10:04pm
- 6-7 yellow onions (about 3-4 pounds)
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel onions. Thinly slice onions and place in slow cooker.
- Drizzle olive oil over onions. Season generously with salt and pepper. Work oil and seasonings into onions with your hands.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or until onions have softened and caramelized.
- Caramelized onions can be stored in the refrigerator covered for 1-2 weeks. They can also be stored in the freezer in an air-tight container for up to 6 months. Allow cooked onions to come to room temperature before using. Enjoy!