Whole Grain Salad w/ Roasted Carrots
Hearty, savory and sweet - this salad has it all! This large salad is perfect for any holiday parties.
- 1 cup dried wheatberries, farro, or barley, soaked overnight
- 4-5 carrots, diced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey or agave
- 3 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cup whole pecans
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon butter or vegan butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup diced red onions
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- 2-3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup feta cheese (optional)
- Drain and rinse whole grains. Transfer to a large stock pot and fill with the following liquid and cooking times:
Wheatberries: 3 cups water + 1 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 1 hour.
Farro: 1½ cup water + ½ cup vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 40-45 minutes.
Barley: 2 cups water + 1 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- While grains are cooking, preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine carrots, olive oil, honey, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to coat the carrots. Transfer into a deep baking dish.
- Combine pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and maple syrup together in a small bowl. Pour onto baking sheet and spread out into a single layer.
- Place carrots onto the oven’s lower rack and pecan on the upper rack. Cook for 15 minutes, removing pecans and setting aside to cool. Cook carrots for another 30 minutes or until tender.
- Once grains are done cooking, drain any remaining liquid and set aside in a colander to cool.
- Once carrots are done cooking, remove from oven.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked grains, cooked carrots with cooking liquid, red onions, spinach, balsamic vinegar and feta cheese. Toss to combine. Garnish with candied pecans. Serve and enjoy!