Vietnamese Style Iced Coffee
Cold pressed coffee takes a lot of time but little effort. There is an amazing difference between simply adding ice to hot coffee and a properly cold pressed coffee. Cold pressed coffee has a rich, smooth flavor because it lacks the bitterness of hot brewed. Our homemade Vegan Condensed Milk is incredibly sweet and delicious, which adds a nice contrast to the bold flavor of the coffee.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 8:51pm
- 8 cups filtered water
- ½ pound coarsely ground medium to dark coffee
Vegan Condensed Milk
- 2¾ cups unsweetened full-fat non-dairy milk (preferably soy, coconut, or hemp)
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare Iced Coffee: Pour water in either a very large bowl/container or split evenly between 2-3 large bowls/containers. Add ground coffee to bowl(s). Do not stir mixture - simply press coffee down under water to ensure all of the grounds are wet. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 8 hours, up to overnight.
- Once the allotted time has passed, line a fine-mesh sieve or colander with two layers of cheesecloth. Carefully pour coffee through the sieve into a large pitcher or container. Press coffee grounds with a spoon in order to squeeze as much liquid out as possible. Compost or discard grounds. Coffee can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also pour some of the cold pressed coffee into ice cube trays to add later to iced coffee.
- To prepare Vegan Condensed Milk: Place non-dairy milk, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk frequently until mixture has reduced to about 1½ -1¾ cup. This could take 30-45 minutes. Lower heat while mixture reduces to prevent burning. It’s helpful to keep a measuring cup nearby to track your progress. Once reduced, remove pan from heat, whisk in vanilla extract and let cool to room temperature. Then transfer condensed milk into a glass jar and refrigerate. Allow milk to cool down completely before using. Store condensed milk in the refrigerator for up to three weeks (if it lasts that long!).
- To serve, pour desired amount of coffee into a glass and stir in 1-3 Tablespoons of the Vegan Condensed Milk. Add regular ice or coffee ice cubes and stir again. Enjoy!