Sweet Potato Cornmeal Biscuits
Sweet potatoes, hearty cornmeal, and tart cranberries make these biscuits perfect for holiday meals or anytime snacks.
- 2 cups chopped, peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sucanat
- 1 cup sliced cranberries
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet or muffin tin and set aside.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a small saucepan with orange juice, ½ cup water, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then decrease heat slightly and boil gently, covered, until very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and reserve cooking liquid. Add potatoes to a bowl with coconut oil and sucanat, mash until smooth. Add reserved liquid and cranberries. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Stir in sweet potato mixture until smooth. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until dough is firm.
- Measure ¼ cup of dough onto baking sheet, pressing slightly to make a four-inch circle.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate pan and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until tops are golden and firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!