Vegan Puff Pastry
Just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a warm, flaky crust. Not vegan? That’s okay! This puff pastry still has the rich, buttery flavor you’re looking for.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:21pm
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces vegan butter (Miyoko’s, earth balance)
- 2⁄3 cup ice water
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Cut the butter into cubes. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour and salt until the batter is crumbly.
- Add the ice water and mix. The mixture should still be very crumbly and a bit dry.
- On a clean, floured surface, form the dough into a square. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a rectangle.
- Fold the top and bottom of the dough to the middle. Flip the dough, flouring the surface more if needed, and roll out again.
- Repeat step 5 until the butter is fully combined with the dough (about 5 repeats).
- Chill your dough in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- When you are ready to bake your dough, preheat the oven to 400̊. Puff pastry can be used as a crust in a variety of recipes, including our recipe for vegan brie. Adjust cooking times depending on the size and thickness the dough being used.