- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- ⅓ cup ground toasted almonds
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2½ cups whole-grain spelt flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 (7-gram) package active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup raisins or currants
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons large-grain raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Warm almond milk and margarine in a saucepan over low heat until warm to the touch (about 100º- do not boil and do not overheat). Whisk in agave, almond extract, ground almonds, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour and yeast. Add wet ingredients into dry and stir gently but firmly to combine. Prepare a work surface with extra flour and turn out dough. Knead for 2 minutes, adding more flour as needed to maintain a smooth texture. Add raisins and knead for another 2-3 minutes, until the dough becomes smooth and pliable. Shape into a ball.
- Lightly coat a bowl with olive oil and add dough to bowl, turning to coat with oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm area for one hour.
- For the Dipping Mixture: Combine olive oil, sugar, and orange zest in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° and layer a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 8 equal portions.
- Gently roll dough into balls and dredge in Dipping Mixture, covering the dough entirely. Evenly space dough balls in pan.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15-20 minutes, or until doubled in size. Remove plastic and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and dry looking on top. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. These sweet rolls are best on the first day, but can be frozen too! Enjoy!