Unlike traditional fluffy American bread, Scandinavian breads are loaded with whole grains, nuts and seeds and have a dense texture. This version is from the nutrition blog <a href="http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread">My New Roots.</a>
Updated: Tue, 04/03/2018 - 7:53am
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup flax seeds
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ cup psyllium seed husks
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups water
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon each rosemary, dried garlic, and caraway seeds
- ¼ cup currants or raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Coconut sugar for garnish
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together water, olive oil, and honey (whisk in savory or sweet additions if using). Add to dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine; mixture will be a little bit soggy. Pour into bread pan and smooth top. Cover, and let rest overnight at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake bread for 20 minutes. Carefully flip bread directly onto oven rack and bake for another 40-45 minutes, until very browned on outside, and sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing or freezing.
- Serve with spreads, jams or butter. Enjoy!