Pumpkin Seed Bread
Ground flax seeds (or ground sunflower seeds) can easily be added to most baking recipes. Simply replace ¼ cup flour with ¼ cup ground flax seeds to add a nutritional boost without affecting the flavor.
Updated: Wed, 04/04/2018 - 9:12pm
Chia Seed Gel (substitute for 2 eggs):
- 2 Tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 6 Tablespoons water
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- ½-¾ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Generously grease a 9" x 5" x 3" bread loaf pan.
- Prepare Chia Seed Gel. In a small bowl, whisk ground chia seeds and water until a gooey consistency is achieved. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, ground flax seeds, salt and baking powder.
- Combine Chia Seed Gel sugar, vanilla and bananas in a large bowl. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat until well combined.
- Continuing to use electric mixer at low speed, combine Chia Seed Gel mixture with flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. Do not over-mix; batter should be chunky, not smooth.
- Mix in pumpkin seeds by hand.
- Pour batter into pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until dark golden brown. After 15 minutes, rotate pan. Bread will be ready when a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- After removing from oven, allow bread to cool for a few minutes in pan. Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- This bread can be enjoyed immediately or kept up to 4 days at room temperature if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Use leftovers to make Pumpkin Seed Bread Pudding. Enjoy!