- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup cold butter or vegan butter
- ¼-½ cup ice water
- ¼ cup butter or vegan butter
- 5 medium apples, sliced thinly
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup water + 2 teaspoons corn starch (dissolve corn starch in water)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Milk or non-dairy milk
- To prepare Crust: In a large bowl combine flours and powdered sugar. Add butter and cut into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or your hands. Work the butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. Be sure not to overwork the mixture.
- Add ice water 1 Tablespoon at a time until dough sticks together.
- Separate dough into 2 balls and press into 2 flat rounds on wax paper. Freeze for at least 10 minutes (or keep in fridge overnight).
- While dough is chilling, prepare Filling. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter, apples and lemon juice. Cook for a five minutes to soften. Add cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to coat apples.
- Mix water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into apple mixture until it thickens. Add vanilla and maple syrup and cook two more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator/freezer and allow to sit a couple minutes or until it can be rolled out.
- Flour work surface and top of dough. Roll out dough to ¼” thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter or a round kitchen glass, cut dough into one dozen, 4-inch circles (or any even number, depending on your cutter).
- Take 1 Tablespoon of cooled apple mixture and place in the center of dough circle. Wet edge of dough with milk and cover with another dough circle. Use the tines of a fork to press edges of dough to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Use a sharp knife and cut 4 small openings on the top of the dough. Brush with milk and lay onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown on tops. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!