- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons nut butter
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- salt for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8x8 inch square baking dish by lining with parchment paper so that there is overhang over the sides.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the maple syrup, applesauce, nut butter, flax and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the carob powder, sorghum flour, and salt to the wet mixture and mix together.
- Add the walnuts and mix in. Transfer batter into baking dish and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool for 15 minutes before slicing into 16 pieces.
- Serve the brownies as is or sprinkle some salt on top and enjoy!