Double Carob Chip Mochi Cookie
These double carob chip mochi cookies are chewy, soft and nutty, with a smattering of carob chips. Vegan, gluten-free and refined-sugar-free!
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch/flour
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk
- 1 Tablespoon date sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons flax meal + 6 Tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted or walnut oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 cup date sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup vegan carob chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal and filtered water. Set aside in the fridge for at least a few minutes.
- Mix all mochi ingredients except coconut oil together in a bowl until combined.
- Steam mochi mixture for 15-20 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix coconut oil, almond butter, date sugar and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add carob and salt, then sift in flour and starch, mixing until evenly blended.
- Add in the flax egg and mix well.
- Stir in carob chips.
- Once mochi mixture has cooled, add melted coconut oil and knead mochi with gloves on. Roll mochi into small balls, less than an inch in diameter.
- Roll cookie dough into larger balls and flatten.
- Place the mochi ball on the cookie dough and bring the edges together until the mochi is completely covered by cookie dough. Flatten cookie and place on lined baking sheet or silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a fork or toothpick comes out clean.