- 4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, sifted + more as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Powdered sugar
- Shredded coconut
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Prepare 2 pieces of parchment paper the same size of a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine lemon zest with sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, cream vegan butter with an electric mixture until smooth. Add in lemon zest-sugar mixture and beat until creamy.
- Stir in coconut oil and fresh lemon juice.
- While electric mixer is on low, slowly add in dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides as needed. Beat together until just combined. Fold dough a few more times with a rubber spatula.
- Shape dough until it forms a ball and place on 1 sheet of prepared parchment paper. Place the 2nd sheet on top and using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¼” thickness.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove baking sheet from refrigerator and transfer dough to a floured work surface. Remove the top parchment paper. You can then use cookie cutters or a large drinking glass to make round cookies. Place cookies at least 2" apart on a baking sheet (depending on how many cookies you make, you may need a second baking sheet lined with parchment paper.)
- Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes until the edges are just beginning to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely before adding any toppings.
- Using a sifter or fine-mesh strainer, sift powdered sugar all over cookies. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and lemon zest. Serve and enjoy!