- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup vegan margarine or butter, grated
- 8-10 Tablespoons vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small kabocha squash, seeded and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar + 1 Tablespoon more for garnish
- ¾ cup toasted pecans
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- To make the Crust: In a large mixing bowl combine flours, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate in margarine and use your hands to press margarine into flour until mixture looks like teeny pebbles.
- In a small bowl mix together 8 Tablespoons soymilk and apple cider vinegar.
- Sprinkle soymilk over flour mixture, tossing with a spatula to combine. Use your hands and gently knead dough until cohesive, adding extra soymilk as needed to make dough smooth. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Knead a few times in plastic, and let rest in refrigerator for two hours up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss kabocha slices with 2 Tablespoons coconut oil and 1 Tablespoon brown sugar. Layer onto baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 15 minutes, or until very soft.
- To make the Filling: Grind pecans in food processor until fine. Add coconut milk and vanilla bean paste to processor and blend to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Lower heat to 400°.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and roll into a large rectangle, about ¼ - inch thick. Lift dough carefully from surface and lay onto baking sheet.
- Spread pecan mixture onto middle of dough, leaving a one-inch margin. Layer baked squash onto filling. Fold dough edges on top of squash. Brush crust with remaining coconut oil and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake on lined baking sheet for 20 minutes, until crust is browned. Serve warm with ice cream, whipped cream, or yogurt. Enjoy!