Spicy Pumpkin Chocolate Cake
- 3 oz chopped dark chocolate
- ¾ cup pumpkin purée
- ½ cup liquid (water or coffee)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup liquid coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp each ground nutmeg, ground allspice, and ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 8 oz. chocolate dark chocolate, chopped (or 1 cup chips)
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup Earth Balance (one stick) at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare an 8” cake pan (round or square) with parchment on the bottom and oiled sides.
- Break chocolate into small pieces into a glass bowl, and place over a saucepan of boiling water to gently melt. Stir the chocolate constantly and remove the bowl from atop the pan when just melted (this is the fake double-broiler method).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin/sweet potato, liquid, vinegar, sugar, vanilla, oil and sea salt.
- In another large bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add in spices and whisk to combine.
- Pour liquid into dry mixture while whisking until combined in a smooth batter. Pour in melted chocolate and whisk well to combine. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and continue cooling. Let cool completely before frosting- it is actually good to put the cake in your freezer for about an hour to make sure the cake keeps its shape.
- To Make Ganache Frosting: Place chopped chocolate in a large glass bowl
- In a small saucepan or in the microwave, heat non-dairy milk until just boiling. Pour over the chocolate and let stand one minute, then begin to whisk slowly (hand or electric). Whisk until smooth, then add Earth Balance, agave and vanilla. Whisk about 3 minutes or until smooth and thick, but still glossy and light.