Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
These cupcakes are moist and light but still have a rich, decadent flavor. Espresso powder can easily be made by grinding a few teaspoons of espresso beans in a coffee grinder- or you can use pre-ground. This recipe is adapted from the cooking blog Pastry Affair.
Updated: Sat, 04/07/2018 - 6:44am
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, espresso, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk in applesauce and vanilla extract into soy milk mixture.
- Slowly whisk in wet ingredients into dry ingredients - mix until smooth.
- Carefully pour batter into prepared cupcake pans – filling each tin about ¾ full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack until they reach room temperature – about 20-30 minutes.
- When cupcakes are completely cool, frost with Vegan Chocolate Frosting, or simply sprinkle with some coconut flakes and/or ground nuts. Enjoy!