Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
This pumpkin "cheesecake" uses wholesome ingredients like cashews, banana and silken tofu in place of expensive vegan cream cheese. Although fairly easy, this recipe does take time. Soak your cashews a day before making recipe and plan on refrigerating cheesecake at least 3-4 hours before serving.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:13pm
- Liquid coconut oil + 3 Tablespoons
- 1 ¼ cups finely ground vegan graham crackers (about 8-10 crackers)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plain non-dairy milk
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours up to overnight
- ¼ cup mashed banana
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package silken tofu extra firm, drained
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon orange zest + more for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon maple extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Ground cinnamon
- Orange zest
- Whipped cream (optional)
Special Materials - Spring form pan, 2 muffin tins or 2 mini muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" spring form pan with coconut oil. To make mini cheesecakes line 2 muffin tins or 2 mini muffin tins with paper/foil liners or grease with coconut oil. Set aside.
- To prepare Crust: Combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a mixing bowl. Drizzle in 3 Tablespoons coconut oil and mix to moisten crumbs. Drizzle in milk and stir again to form a crumbly mixture.
If using a spring form pan: Pour crumbs into pan and press firmly into the bottom.
If using muffin tins: Scoop a heaping Tablespoon of crumbs into each tin and press firmly down with your fingers.
If using mini muffin tins: Scoop a heaping teaspoon of crumbs into each tin and press firmly down with your fingers. Reserve any leftover crumbs for garnish. Bake for 8-12 minutes until firm. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare Filling: Drain and rinse cashews. Transfer to a food processor. Add in remaining Filling ingredients except for the pumpkin and seasonings. Process until completely smooth, you may need to stop a few times to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. The resulting mixture should be smooth and very creamy. This mixture will act as our cream cheese.
- Add in pumpkin puree and seasonings. Blend until well combined and smooth.
If using a spring form pan: Carefully pour entire Filling into pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
If using muffin tins: Scoop enough Filling to fill each tin about ¾ of the way - about a few Tablespoons. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
If using mini muffin tins: Scoop enough Filling to fill each tin until almost full - about a Tablespoon. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Cheesecake will be done when top is slightly puffed and the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rake(s) for about 30 minutes.
If using a spring form pan: Transfer entire pan to refrigerator to complete cooling for at least 3 hours up to overnight before serving.
If using muffin or mini muffin tins: Remove each cheesecake carefully using a butter knife. Transfer to a large container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours up to overnight before serving. If desired, remove liners right before serving.
- Garnish finished cheesecake with any extra graham cracker crumbs, ground cinnamon, orange zest and whipped cream. Enjoy!