- 1 ½ cup cashews
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons flaxmeal
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 ½ cup pastry flour, sifted
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 ½ black mission figs
- Preheat oven to 350̊.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add cashews and boil for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Transfer cashews to a food processor along with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a small dish, whisk together flaxmeal and orange juice. Let stand until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Sift pastry flour into a medium bowl. Whisk together with coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together vegan ricotta, flax egg, and vanilla. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Once wet and dry ingredients are combined, stir in melted vegan butter, almond milk, and 1 cup of figs.
- Line a spring form cake pan or a 9” cake pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Pour cake batter into pan. Slice the remaining ½ cup of figs and garnish top of the cake.
- Bake until a toothpick or fork inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Allow cake to cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!