Caramelized Onion Dip
Rich and decadent, this salty-sweet dip will be the life of the party! It's well worth the time and effort and no one will believe it's completely vegan! If you want to make this ahead of time, prepare the dip but don't bake it. Refrigerate for up to a week, and bake when ready to serve.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:05pm
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water + more if needed
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 pound onions, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- 4-5 slices vegan bacon, diced [optional]
- Heat brown sugar and water in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to caramelize and bubble.
- Stir in vegan butter until most of it has melted.
- Add sliced onions. Season with salt. Allow onions to cook for 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with baking powder, quickly whisking it into the cooking liquid. If the cooking liquid evaporates, add a few Tablespoons of water, 1 at a time. Allow onions to cook for 20-25 minutes or until caramelized and soft, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir in vinegar and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Whisk vegan mayonnaise and miso paste together in a mixing bowl. Fold in cooked onions until combined. Transfer to a small round baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While onion dip is baking, saute diced vegan bacon with a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Set aside.
- Remove onion dip from oven and garnish with crispy vegan bacon. Serve with pita bread, crackers or cut vegetables. Enjoy!