Love the rich, velvety spicy yumminess that is queso? Our vegan queso features wholesome ingredients and doesn’t need any cheese to make it rich and delicious. Adapted from the cooking blog Post Punk Kitchen, http://www.isachandra.com/
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 8:51pm
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons white miso
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, diced and seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ancho chili pepper
- 2-3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine cashews, vegetable broth, miso, and corn starch in a food processor or blender until very smooth and creamy. This may take a few minutes.
- While the cashew mixture is blending, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Sauté for a few minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Carefully transfer sautéed vegetables into food processor with cashew mixture. Add in cumin, chili pepper, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return cashew mixture to skillet or a saucepan and warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with chips, in burritos and tacos, or even with sliced vegetables. Queso can be refrigerated for up to a week – simply reheat before serving. Enjoy!