Spicy Smoked Pineapple BBQ Sauce
Barbeques are not usually vegetarian/vegan friendly, but with this finger-licking sauce drizzled over your grilled veggies or tempeh, even the most carnivorous eater will be asking for seconds!
Updated: Sat, 04/14/2018 - 12:24pm
- 1 medium-sized local pineapple, peeled
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce or 1½ Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 3 Tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- ½ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ -1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cut pineapple in half width-wise. Cut half the pineapple into thin slices. Roughly chop remaining pineapple.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, grill pineapple slices until browned on both sides. Cook in batches to avoid overcrowding. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, dice grilled pineapple and set aside.
- Meanwhile, purée chopped pineapple in a food processor.
- Add cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and paprika to puréed pineapple. Pulse until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add diced grilled pineapple after sauce has thickened.
- Pour into a bowl and let cool. Use immediately with your favorite barbeque dishes like our Vegan Kalua Pork. Enjoy!