Ethiopian Berebere Spice
This exotic spice mixture is an essential part of Ethiopian cooking. You can also puree half of the mixture to achieve a different taste and texture.
1 ½ - 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- ¾ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 8-10 small dried red chiles, de-stemmed
- 3 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger root or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Recommended Materials: Mortar and pestle or spice/coffee grinder
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat toast the cumin, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, allspice, fenugreek and coriander, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, finely grind together the toasted spices and the chiles. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately with all your favorite Ethiopian recipes or store refrigerated in an air-tight container. Enjoy!