Butternut Squash & Okinawan Sweet Potato Gratin
Butternut squash and Okinawan sweet potato add a sweet sophisticated touch to a classic comfort dish. Make ahead of time and freeze for a stress-free potluck dish. Makes tasty leftovers.
Updated: Fri, 04/20/2018 - 10:03pm
- Olive oil
Vegan Béchamel Sauce
- 2 cups almond milk or any other non-dairy milk
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and seeded
- 1 pound Okinawan sweet potato, peeled
- 2 cups sliced onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 bunch green kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh thyme and/or basil leaves + more for garnish
- 1 cup nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a 9"x13" baking dish with olive oil.
- To prepare Vegan Béchamel Sauce: Combine almond milk and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low. Melt vegan butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 1 minute or until paste forms. Slowly whisk in warmed almond milk mixture. Increase heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Turn heat to low and season with salt and pepper. Sauce should be thick but pourable. If too thick, whisk in 1-2 Tablespoons almond milk. Set aside.
- To prepare Gratin: Slice squash and sweet potato into ¼” slices and set aside in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil over, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sliced onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add minced garlic to pan and cook for 1 minute. Add kale and sauté for a few minutes or until kale wilts down and turns bright green. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble Gratin: Place 1 layer of squash and sweet potatoes into baking dish. Add a layer of sautéed vegetables. Layer a couple of fresh herb leaves and sprinkle with nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese. Pour half of Vegan Béchamel sauce over layers. Repeat layers and sauce. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until most of the sauce is absorbed.
- Remove from oven. Discard foil and set oven to broil. Sprinkle pecans and breadcrumbs evenly on top and broil for 5-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool and garnish with fresh herb leaves. Serve and enjoy!