- 2 cups chana (rinsed and soaked 1-2 hours)
- 12 cups water
- 1" piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 3 green chiles, de-seeded and finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons ghee
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seed
- ¾ teaspoon black mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ bunch fresh spinach (or other green), chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Rinse and soak chana for 1-2 hours. Rinse, strain and place in a large pot. Add water and bring to boil.
- Add ginger, chiles and turmeric. Lower heat and simmer 40-50 minutes until chana beans are soft.
- In a small saucepan, heat ghee. Stirring constantly, add cumin seed and mustard seed, and brown briefly until seeds sputter, then add asafetida.
- Stir in chopped onion until lightly browned.
- Add tomato, stirring to capture all the spices and pour into dahl.
- Add spinach and simmer another 10-20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add salt and lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!