Homemade Seitan w/ Orange-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Homemade seitan is dressed up with a richly flavored BBQ sauce. Serve on sandwiches or alongside other BBQ favorites.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:13pm
- 1½ cups wheat gluten flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon each black pepper, garlic flakes, and onion powder
- 1¼ cups cold water
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup liquid aminos or soy sauce, divided
- 10 cups water
- High-heat oil for grilling
Orange-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon each black pepper and sea salt (more to taste)
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- For the Seitan: Mix gluten flour, nutritional yeast, and herbs in a large bowl.
- Add very cold water and ¼ cup liquid aminos to flour mix. Stir well using a spatula and your hands if necessary. The dough will become very spongy and elastic. Knead into a small loaf, and let rest five minutes.
- Break dough into three equally sized pieces, drain off excess liquid (if needed).
- Fill a large stockpot with cold water and remaining ¼ cup liquid aminos. Gently drop dough into cold broth. Bring broth to a rapid simmer (do not boil), then reduce heat to low. Keep at a low simmer for one hour, stirring a few times to keep seitan from sticking to bottom. Let seitan cool completely in broth, then slice into ½-inch slices.
- In a large skillet, heat 1-2 Tablespoons high heat oil on medium heat. Grill seitan until lightly browned on each side, about 10 minutes. Grill all seitan, and then set aside.
- For the BBQ Sauce: Warm coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onions are browned, about five minutes.
- Reduce heat and add all remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine, bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for flavor, and add salt/pepper/honey as needed.
- Pour Orange-Chipotle BBQ Sauce over grilled Seitan. Serve with rice, veggies, or on a bun! Enjoy!