- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of chili pepper or cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery. Season with cumin, chili pepper, salt and pepper. Saute until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute. Add lentils, carrots, potatoes, vegetable stock and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until lentils and potatoes are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar or lemon juice. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a week. Enjoy!