Shiitake and Roasted Beet Nigiri
Who needs fish? Roasted beets and shiitake mushrooms create a delightful, fresh flavor in this nigiri.
- 4-5 beets, cut into 1 centimeter thick rectangles (about 2” by 1”)
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon
- 15-17 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425̊ F.
- Place the beets on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Over medium heat, sauté the mushrooms until they are browned.
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of water. Once the rice is cooked, add the mirin, salt, and sugar.
- Once the rice has cooled, use your hands to form the rice into 2” by 1” rectangles, about 1” tall.
- Top the rice alternatively with the roasted beets and sautéed mushrooms.
- Serve with soy sauce, enjoy!