- 1 (15-ounce) can white kidney beans or cannellini beans
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¼ cup diced mushrooms preferably shiitake
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or flakes
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon fennel
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten + more if needed
- ½ teaspoon of any of the following: nutritional yeast, caraway seeds, celery seed, dried ginger, coriander, cardamom, mace
- Blend beans in a food processor or blender until pureed. Add remaining ingredients except for gluten. Process until combined.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix in gluten until combined. If mixture is very wet, add a Tablespoon of gluten at a time until dough is easy to handle. Flour hands and knead mixture for a minute or two.
- Place a steamer basket in a large pot. Add just enough water to have liquid right below steamer basket. Bring to a boil while you prepare your bratwursts.
- To wrap your bratwursts, roll your dough out into (6) 5” long logs (shaped like a sausage). Wrap each one individually with squares of aluminum foil - twisting the ends.
- Place wrapped bratwursts in steamer basket - it’s ok to stack them on top of each other. Cover and simmer on low for 40 – 45 minutes. Remove one bratwurst to open and taste for a firm and chewy consistency. If still a little moist, allow to steam for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using tongs carefully transfer bratwurst from steamer basket to a plate. Discard foil. Bratwursts are ready to serve immediately or can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Simply warm up when ready to serve. Genießen! (Enjoy!)