- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (fifteen-ounce) can coconut milk
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 cups chopped Kabocha pumpkin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup sliced onions
- 2 Tablespoons dried garlic flakes
- 2 Tablespoons vegan margarine
- ½ cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1 cup shelled peas
- ½ teaspoon each dried sage and dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir quinoa in a medium saucepan over medium heat for a few minutes to toast grains.
- Stir in vegetable broth, coconut milk, mirin, and pumpkin. Raise heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 40 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed by quinoa- it will be a bit soupy. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for five minutes or until starting to brown. Add quinoa mixture, garlic flakes, butter, and soymilk. Sauté for a few minutes or until quinoa absorbs liquid.
- Stir peas, Parmesan, and herbs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper if you like.
- Transfer to serving platter and garnish with extra dried or fresh herbs in the center. Serve and enjoy!