- 1 (8-ounce) package ramen, soba or tofu shirataki noodles
- 2 Tablespoons safflower or other neutral oil
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 Tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetarian broth
- 5" piece of kombu (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tablespoons vegetarian chicken-flavor broth powder
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 sheet nori, cut into thin strips, 2" long
- 2-4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Bamboo shoots
- Sliced baked or fried tofu
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse well and set aside.
- Heat safflower oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, ginger and mushrooms. Cook until onions are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, kombu, water, broth powder, garlic and thyme. Raise heat to high.
- When broth comes to a rolling boil, add tamari and sesame oil. Stir well. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Fit a colander over another large pot and place in sink. Carefully strain broth through colander and discard trimmings. Return broth to medium heat.
- Add noodles and cook until noodles become soft, about 5 minutes. Divide into serving bowls and top with your choice of garnishes. Enjoy!