Whole Roasted Cauliflower
This roasted cauliflower is the perfect main dish. Flavorful and nutritious, what’s not to like?
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 5-6 carrots chopped into 2” pieces
- 2 cups white mushrooms
- About 20 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Place the cauliflower in the center of a roasting pan. Surround the cauliflower with onion slices, carrots, mushrooms, and thyme.
- Using a small paring knife, cut a couple slits deep into the califlower.
- Slice the tops of the garlic off, about ¼ inch. Pull some of the outer layers away until only one layer remains. Place in the roasting pan on either side of the cauliflower.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the cauliflower and veggies. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Pour veggie broth into the roasting pan.
- Fill an 8x8 pan halfway with water and place on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Cover the cauliflower with tinfoil and cook on the middle oven rack for one hour, basting occasionally with the veggie broth.
- Remove the tinfoil cover and bake for another 10 minutes. Turn the oven to broil until the cauliflower is golden brown, watching carefully so it does not burn.