Gingered Barley Soup w/ Hempseeds
Ginger is a powerful digestive aid, and barley is loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals to help keep your digestive system is good health.
- 2 cups barley
- ½ cup chopped, dried mushrooms
- ¼ cup fresh sliced ginger
- 10-12 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup very thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup very thinly sliced celery
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- ½ cup hempseeds
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse barley. Add to a large stockpot with mushrooms, sliced ginger and 10 cups broth/water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for one hour, or until barley is very soft.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until very brown and soft. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, thyme, ginger, and hempseeds. Cook until all vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to finished barley, and add more broth as needed for desired consistency. Add mirin and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 15 more minutes.
- To serve, divide between six serving bowls. Garnish with fresh thyme and extra hempseeds. Enjoy!