- 1 cup red and white quinoa
- ¼ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups peeled and chopped squash
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons miso
- 1 (12 or 14 ounce) can coconut milk, reserve a 1/4 cup
- Fresh herbs, for garnish
- Add quinoa and shredded coconut to a large stockpot. Heat pan over medium low heat and dry toast until fragrant and browned, about 10 minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To another large stockpot add squash and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook until squash is soft, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking water, and set aside.
- Add cooked squash, miso, coconut milk and cooked quinoa mix to food processor and blend until completely smooth. This makes a large amount so you may need to mix the ingredients in batches depending on the size of your processor. (For our 8 cup processor, we usually divide the ingredients in half and make 2 smaller batches). Taste and add additional seasonings as desired.
- Divide soup into 4 serving bowls. Drizzle reserved coconut milk on top of each soup and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve and enjoy!