Creamy Asparagus Pesto Pasta
This decadent pasta makes a great meal for special occasions and is packed full of nutrients.
- 1¼ cups fresh asparagus, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup grated raw cheese (or Parmesan cheese)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces penne pasta
- 2 Tablespoons garbanzo flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups half and half, or unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup fresh sweet basil leaves
- ½ cup thinly sliced tomatoes, seeds removed
- Grated parmesan cheese (or soy cheese equivalent)
- Place all Asparagus Pesto ingredients in a food processor and process until mixture becomes slightly creamy. If mixture sticks to the sides of the bowl stop the processor and scrape the sides with a spatula. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium-high heat.
- Carefully add flour and oil, mixing well to form a thin paste.
- Stir mixture constantly for 2-3 minutes or until paste smells toasty. Reduce heat to medium.
- Slowly whisk in half and half and cook for 1-2 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in prepared pesto and basil leaves.
- Carefully add pasta to the sauce and toss. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Garnish with tomatoes and cheese. Enjoy!