- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 2 Tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ cup minced red onion
- 8 ounces finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2-4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pounds thinly sliced kabocha pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease an 8"x8" baking dish or a 9" pie pan with butter.
- Separate kale leaves from stems. Mince kale stems, setting aside leaves for other recipes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and kale stems and cook for about 10 minutes more, until mixture is lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, whisk together soy milk, flour, garlic, pepper and nutmeg. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Arrange a layer of squash slices in prepared pan. Cover with ½ cup soy milk sauce, then add a layer of mushroom mixture. Repeat layers, ending with soy milk sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes more, or until squash is tender and top is browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!