Brown Rice/Quinoa Mixture
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
Ginger Sesame Dressing
- ½ cup sesame oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or liquid aminos
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, honey or agave nectar
- 2 Tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 Tablespoons water + more if needed
- Olive oil
- 1-3 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup kale, de-stemmed and shredded
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon mirin (optional)
- 4 veggie burger patties of choice
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Kim chee (optional)
- Prepare Brown Rice/Quinoa Mixture first: Combine brown rice and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Add water and salt. Heat over medium-high until water comes to a rolling boil. Lower heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 35-45 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine all Ginger Sesame Dressing ingredients in a blender. Starting from the lowest setting, slowly increase speed as ingredients break down. Add more water if needed to achieve a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- To prepare Loco Moco: Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in large sauté pan. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add kale, carrots, onions and mushrooms, and sauté for a few minutes. Add mirin if desired. Cook until onions are tender and kale is bright green. Set aside.
- Cook veggie patties according to package directions. Set aside.
- Stir most of the sautéed vegetables into Rice mixture, setting aside a small amount for garnish. Scoop into the center of serving plates, creating small mounds (rice can be packed into a small bowl, then flipped over to create a nice rounded mound). Place veggie patty on top, and drizzle with Sauce.
- Garnish each plate with remaining sautéed vegetables and green onions. Serve with a spoonful of kim chee on the side and enjoy this healthy Loco Moco!