Millet Fried Rice
Like most fried ‘rice’ recipes, this works best with leftover millet. Change up the vegetables depending on whatever is in your fridge.
- 1 cup millet
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 3 cups finely sliced green cabbage
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- In a saucepan, bring broth or water to a boil. Add millet, stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tablespoons peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms and carrots and sauté until wilted. Add cabbage and cook until very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in green onions and millet and sauté over high heat until millet browns slightly. Drizzle mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil onto mixture and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and serve. Enjoy!