Lomi Lomi Salad with Local Vegetables
Lomi lomi is Hawaiian for “massage.” Lomi Lomi Salmon is a popular dish in the Islands, prized for its cooling refreshment. This vegetarian version uses the same principles of freshness with local seasonal vegetables, and it adds a little spice with local favorite, Chili Pepper Water.
Updated: Mon, 06/11/2018 - 8:24am
Chili Pepper Water (prepared ahead):
- 5-6 red chili peppers
- 2 cups distilled water
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon Hawaiian sea salt
- 4-5 local tomatoes, peeled, deseeded & diced
- 4-5 local cherry tomatoes, peeled, deseeded & diced
- 1 local onion, thinly sliced
- Hawaiian sea salt
- 1 bunch local kale, chopped
- ½-1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- ½-1 teaspoon dulse flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup toasted macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- Prepare Chili Pepper Water at least a day ahead. Dice ½ of the chili peppers and leave the rest whole.
- Warm distilled water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Do not bring to a boil. As the water warms, combine chili peppers and remaining Chili Pepper Water ingredients in a glass jar.
- Cover and shake jar to mix. Carefully pour in water. Let mixture cool to room temperature. Cover and let sit overnight. Can be kept covered at room temperature or refrigerated for a couple of weeks.
- For the Salad, layer both kinds of tomatoes as well as the sliced onions in a shallow container and season generously with sea salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, place chopped kale in a mixing bowl. Massage kale by squeezing it in your hands until it begins to wilt. Drain off excess juice.
- Remove tomato mixture from refrigerator and gently massage to combine. Drain off excess juice. Combine with massaged kale in a large serving bowl.
- Dust Spirulina and dulse over salad. Both ingredients are very strong so use your discretion about how “ocean-y” you’d like your salad to taste.
- Drizzle Chili Pepper Water over salad and massage gently until well combined. Garnish with macadamia nuts. Enjoy!