Panzanella is an Italian-style bread salad. This one features a delicious mix of vegetables and croutons for a meal-sized salad.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 8:52pm
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 slices bread of choice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes, soaked if needed
- ½ cup sliced Kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped artichoke hearts
- ½ cup chopped or ground walnuts
- 1 cup fresh basil, sliced thinly
- 4 cups mixed greens (spinach, arugula, lettuces, etc.)
- To make the Croutons: In a small saucepan melt vegan margarine over medium low heat. Add garlic, and simmer on low until garlic is browned, about five minutes.
- Layer bread slices onto a rimmed baking sheet and brush with warm margarine mixture. Broil or toast until very brown, about 5-8 minutes. Flip, and cook on second side, 3-5 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut or tear into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- To make the Dressing: In a large mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegars, dried basil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together sundried tomatoes, olives, artichokes, and walnuts. Toss with 3 Tablespoons of dressing and let marinate half hour.
- To make the Salad: In a very large mixing bowl, gently toss basil and fresh greens together. Add in marinated vegetables and bread chunks. Toss to combine. Divide evenly between four salad bowls. Serve immediately.
- If serving later, keep all components separate until just before serving. Enjoy!