Bitter greens, such as radicchio, stimulate the digestive system and help detox the body; however, many people find the bitterness unappetizing. Balance out the flavors with sweet dried fruit, acidic citrus, and pungent mustard. The fat from olive oil also helps cut the bitter flavor.
Updated: Mon, 05/01/2017 - 2:41pm
- 1 head radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- 5 dried figs, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon or coarse-grain mustard
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves removed
- Generous pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Combine radicchio, red onion, and figs in a large mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix mustard, lemon zest and juice, thyme and salt until salt dissolves. Whisk in olive oil and black pepper.
- Toss salad with dressing. Serve and enjoy!