- 3 cups water
- 2 cups peas
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice, divided
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1-2 Tablespoons dried garlic flakes
- Safflower oil
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add peas and cook for 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water until cooled.
- Combine peas, spinach, 1/2 cup quinoa, and pesto in a food processor. Pulse until combined. You may need to stop a couple of times to scrape down the sides of the processor. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, mix in remaining 1/2 cup quinoa until combined. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes to help mixture set.
- Combine sesame seeds and garlic flakes in a small bowl.
- Using a golf-ball sized of pea mixture, form a 3" wide (about 1 1/2" thick) patty with your hands. Repeat with remaining mixture. Should yield 20-24 small patties. Coat each patty in sesame seed mixture and set aside.
- To serve immediately: Heat 1-2 Tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add a few pea patties at a time to prevent overcrowding and cook until crispy on each side, about ten minutes. Add more oil as needed. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate until all patties are done. To serve later: Layer uncooked patties in an air-tight container using parchment paper to separate patties. Freeze until ready to use. Defrost in refrigerator for 1-2 hours before cooking.
- Serve with your favorite buns and burger accompaniments. Enjoy!