- 1 (8-ounce) tempeh package
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon each: garlic powder, black pepper, paprika & onion powder
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 slices bread of choice, toasted
- 8 lettuce leaves, sliced in half
- 16 tomato slices
- Salt and pepper
Special Materials: 16 Frill picks to hold sandwiches together
- Prepare Tempeh Bacon: Slice tempeh into 16 thin strips.
- Combine tempeh and remaining Tempeh Bacon ingredients in a shallow baking dish. Let marinade for about 5 minutes.
- While Tempeh Bacon marinates, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Lay Tempeh Bacon slices flat in a single layer in skillet. Carefully drizzle remaining marinade into skillet. Cook for a few minutes, then flip and cook for another few minutes or until both sides are crisp and brown.
- Transfer Tempeh Bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to soak up excess oil. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper over. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks in an air-tight container.
- To assemble club sandwich: Line up 3 slices of bread in a row. Spread a small amount of Veganaise on each bread slice. Layer a lettuce half, tomato slice, and 2 pieces of Tempeh Bacon on first bread slice. Season with salt and pepper. Top with second bread slice. Repeat a second layer of lettuce, tomato, Tempeh Bacon, salt and pepper. Top with last bread slice - Veganaise side down. Gently press down on club. Repeat process with remaining ingredients to form 3 more sandwiches. Using a serrated knife, cut club diagonally into 4 triangles with each piece secured with a frill pick. Serve with potato chips and enjoy!