- 1 cup basmati rice or other long-grain white rice
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 cups water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 Tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- ½ cup slivered or sliced raw almonds
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Wash, drain and dry rice.
- Lightly tap each cardamom pod to partially crush.
- Bring water, salt and turmeric slowly to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over moderate heat.
- Heat the ghee or oil in another saucepan over moderately low heat. Fry the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods and almonds in the hot ghee or oil until the almonds turn pale golden brown.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the boiling salted turmeric water and fresh peas (thawed frozen peas should be added after the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes).
- Stir, increase the heat to high, and bring the water to a full boil. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and gently simmer, without stirring, for 15-20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender and flaky. Enjoy!